Sage Restaurant Group, also known as Sage Concepts, was founded in 2005 by Peter Karpinski, Walter Isenberg, and Zack Neumeyer. The trio of hospitality magnates met through a mutual friend, all of them sharing the same alma mater. Isenberg and Neumeyer, who had co-founded Sage Hospitality in 1984, had dreams of transformative growth and sought a partner who understood the opportunities to innovate, had shared values, and a passion for creating restaurant and hotel brands. In search of his next challenge, Karpinski left an award-winning restaurant company in Philadelphia, and joined them to initially launch Sage Restaurant Group.
Brimming with expertise spanning all corners of the industry, Karpinski found himself in an ideal position to disrupt and break the mold of hotel dining, and thus began overseeing the creation of restaurants, bars, and coffee shop brands adjoined to lifestyle and luxury hotel properties across the country. In 2007, Karpinski hired SRG’s initial group of leaders; Jeff Bolton, Eric Tharp and Meaghan Goedde, to open their first successful concept, The Corner Office Restaurant & Martini Bar in Denver. Since then, the group has expanded to nearly 20 innovative properties, including hotels, each with an aesthetic that complements the fabric of its locale.
Through bold thought leadership, the team gained national acclaim and accolades.
The rest, as they say, is history.
SAGE RESTAURANT GROUP – TIMELINE
- Sage Restaurant Group (SRG) is founded by Peter Karpinski, Walter Isenberg and Zack Neumeyer.
- Karpinski begins developing an in-house food and beverage platform and Sage Restaurant Group begins to take shape.
- Setting the stage for multi-concept growth for the next 5 years.
- The Corner Office and The Curtis Hotel, opens its doors in July in Denver, CO.
- Temple Downtown Restaurant + Lounge opens in September in Providence, RI.
- The Corner Office wins multiple awards for the year including “Outstanding Restaurant Graphics” James Beard Foundation, and “Best in Meetings and Events” Colorado Meetings + Events Magazine.
- Mercat a la Planxa and The Blackstone Hotel opens its doors in Chicago, with Iron Chef, Jose Garces, overseeing the menu.
- Second Home Kitchen + Bar opens in May at the JW Marriott in Cherry Creek, CO.
- Esquire Magazine names Mercat as one of the “Best New Restaurants in America”.
- Mercat a la Planxa serves over 120,000 patatas bravas in the first six months of opening
- In Portland, OR the first Urban Farmer Steakhouse opens its doors inside the newly created The Nines hotel and is quickly followed by the opening of Departure Restaurant + Lounge.
- The Original Dinerant opens in Portland.
- Toasted Oak Grill & Market opens in Novi, MI and their “Great Frickin Chicken” gets national acclaim.
- Karpinski is named one of the “40 Big Food Thinkers: 40 and Under” by Food & Wine magazine.
- Toasted Oak Grill & Market represents Michigan at the James Beard House and serves the first Coney Dog ever to be served at the Beard House.
- It doesn’t get any better than this, we are on the upside of the recession hill and can’t deny we are enjoying it.
- Kachina Southwestern Grill opens in Westminster, CO introducing their signature “Navajo Tacos”.
- Karpinski is featured in Hotel Business Review – “A New Future for Hotel Restaurants” and awarded “40 Under 40” by Denver Business Journal for his philanthropic efforts.
- Sage Restaurant Group is named one of the “25 Coolest Multi-Concept Companies in the Land” by Restaurant Hospitality Magazine.
- Karpinski and Sage Restaurant Group are featured on Food Network’s “Chef Wanted”, at Second Home Kitchen + Bar in Denver.
- Hello Betty Fish House launches in Oceanside, winning multiple awards.
- SRG duplicates its first brand – Urban Farmer Steakhouse in Cleveland, OH.
- Our biggest restaurant sign ever (7 stories) is placed on the new Urban Farmer Cleveland building.
- Karpinski takes the lead on a development project in Cherry Creek, CO and creates The Halcyon Hotel, B&GC and a second Departure Restaurant + Lounge at the old post office site.
- The Urban Farmer Steakhouse brand continues to grow, opening its doors in Philadelphia, PA at The Logan Hotel.
- Executive Chef, Gregory Gourdet, of Departure Restaurant + Lounge is featured on Bravo Network’s “Top Chef”.
- Urban Farmer Steakhouse Portland receives “Best Steakhouses in America” – Travel + Leisure Magazine.
- The SRG team embarks on a trip to Asia for research and development for the opening of the next Departure restaurant.
- We duplicate another brand by opening our second Departure Restaurant + Lounge in Denver, CO at the Halcyon, a hotel in Cherry Creek.
- The Halcyon receives national acclaim for redefining modern-luxury travel.
- Hungry to Help is unveiled at all SRG properties as part of SRG’s continued support of giving back to our communities.
- Urban Farmer Steakhouse Philadelphia receives “Best New Steakhouses in the US” by Zagat.
- Pint Brothers Ale House is opened at the Marriott Denver Tech Center as SRG’s first new licensed concept.
- The Maven Hotel, Poka Lola Social Club and Kachina Cantina open at a mixed-used development project in lower downtown Denver.
- Our fourth Urban Farmer Steakhouse opens its doors in August.
- The Emporium Kitchen and Wine Market, Bowerbird Coffee and Magic Rat Live Music opens in Fort Collins, CO.
- Sage Restaurant Group is named “25 Coolest Multi-Concept Companies in the Land” by Restaurant Hospitality Magazine.
- Urban Farmer Steakhouse Denver wins “Best New Restaurant & Best New Restaurant – Fan Favorite” by 303 Magazine.
- The Emporium Kitchen and Wine Market brand is duplicated in Savannah, GA along with another Bowerbird Coffee.
- Magic Rat receives “Best Bar Design” from Hospitality Design Magazine.
- The leadership team formulizes the brand architecture for Sage Concepts, an evolution of Sage Restaurant Group, focusing on scaling their best hotel and restaurant brands.
- Architectural Digest names Poka Lola Social Club, as “Best Designed Bars” in Denver.
- The New York Times features B&GC as a top destination for a night cap in Denver.